Wednesday 25 February 2015

Light book origami x


I have been sharing my One Little Word - Light with you here over the past 2 months and today I wanted to show you a creative activity I completed for my word.

I had never heard of Book origami before until I was randomly searching around on Etsy. I happened to find my self on this page called Book Origami. Nicola, the shop owner, has a wide variety of book origami patterns from numbers, hearts, baby's feet, weddings and lots more. I asked if she had a pattern for my OLW - Light and I received my instructions within 48 hours.




Now, as a scrapbooker and book lover, this is the perfect way to use a book and your bone folder to make something beautiful, from something you love.
The first port of call was the Oxfam secondhand bookshop in Wells. I dragged my poor college girlfriends with me and we found the perfect book



Yes, a book all about a lighthouse, we were so excited to find this novel, even though I'm sure the author would be slightly perturbed at how it's being used no doubt. I think it is the perfect book for creating my origami. I have kept the cover to use for something later.

Once I got it home, I had to follow the instructions carefully to figure out where to begin marking my pages. Nicola provides a full paper origami pattern with measurements, and a ruler which you print off. She also explains very clearly how to measure and then fold all the pages in your book, to achieve a perfect design.

It takes a while to mark out all the measurements correctly but I found it quite therapeutic




It took me an afternoon to measure carefully and then a couple more afternoons to fold and carefully press with my bone folder to create the design. It is really important to be accurate with your folding but the beauty of this craft is that when you make a mistake you simply unfold and refold correctly.






Here is the design coming together, it took a while for me to see the word appearing but once that happened it really spurred me on.

And here is the final book origami completed.



I may add some inking to the design probably in gold just to make it stand out more.


3 comments:

  1. This is so cool, Jo. I've never seen anything like this before. I think the addition of the gold inking would look amazing on this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats fantastic Jo, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very cleverly conceived and executed! I have been fascinated by Book Origami and you are encouraging me to have a go!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for stopping by. It is always a pleasure to read the comments I receive and to meet new friends. I try and reply to comments on friend's blogs as much as possible. I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog and look forward to seeing you here again soon. Love Jo xxx